The OGC has compiled a list of common causes of project failures. I have narrowed this down to what I clearly think is the Top5 reasons for a Project to fail:
- There is no alignment between the Project portfolio and the organization's strategic drivers and priorities
- There is no commitment or sponsorship from the organization's Senior Executives
- There is a clear lack of Project Management and Risk Management methodologies, skills and knowledge
- There is a poor Stakeholder Management with a clear lack of identification and engagement
- There is a poor Scope Management causing slippage and cost increases
OGC had four more in their list, related to procurement and other specific items (which I categorize into n°4), and they did not have n°5 (which is actually n°1 in most of the projects).